[TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Nov 7 07:15:39 EST 2003

Good advice from Red.  Just a couple of additions --

Our local power company offers a surge suppressor for the whole house that
is installed in a cylindrical housing between the meter and the
house.  They lease it to you for about $3.50 as month, and I figured at
that rate I'll be long gone by the time it comes up tom the cost of a
suppressor installed at the panel (including the electrician's
wages).  Worth checking to see if your power company offers the same deal.

I bought a couple of very nice surges suppressor to replace ones that were
damaged during our lightning strike in August.  They are made by
Tripp-Lite, cost around $35 from TigerDirect, and include 3 wall-wart
outlets, 5 other outlets, and surge suppression for cable TV, Ethernet and
phone, all in one unit.  The specifics:  Tripp Lite Protect It! 810Net
Surge Suppressor

Tripp sats they will insure equipment connected through the unit that is
damaged due to a surge, and will replace the unit if it is damaged by a
surge; since most of what was damaged here was affected by induced voltage
on the computer network, phone wiring and TC cable, I think this makes a
very good investment.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29.
2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm