[TowerTalk] Covert Mast and Yagi

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 7 10:19:14 EST 2003

At 10:04 PM 11/6/2003 -0600, Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:

>One other thought ..... I am moving soon to an area that forbids
>"transmitting or receiving towers".  Antennas are not mentioned.
>Do your covenants specifically prohibit antennas?  Such a
>prohibition would be pretty drastic, given that antennas can be
>as short as a few inches.

And of course, there are antennae on such things as garage door openers
(both the transmitter in the car and the receiver in the garage), cellular
phones, AM/FM car radios, etc.

I used this distinction to "encourage" the local HOA board (or more
properly, the rep of the management company) to conform their regs to the
OTARD rules.  The former rules said no antennas and no radio transmitters.
I just told them (fairly nicely) that
a) Both California and Federal law/regulation require them to allow some
forms of transmitters and receivers (cell phones)
b) Homeowners wouldn't appreciate it when they started getting notices to
cease operation of their cell phones, garage door transmitters, and
wireless appliances. (If the board fails to enforce legally created rules,
any homeowner in the association can act to enforce the rules).
b) That I thought the homeowners wouldn't appreciate incurring all those
legal fees as a result of the management company refusing to encourage
appropriate and legal behavior on the part of the association, especially
when they found that the board members could be personally liable. (A bit
of bluster, and I'm pretty sure that the mgt company is well aware of what
the real situation is, liability wise, but, since the HOA has changed mgt
companies a couple times in the last five years, makes it seem a wise
business decision for the mgt company to get off their behind and do
something.)

There's still a ban on certain types of antennae, but no "no transmitting
and receiving" types of rules.  And, the board has seem distinctly
uninclined to create any hassles about relatively inconspicuous antennae
(arrays of dipoles strung just above the roof and on fence lines).  I also
haven't gotten an static about parking my car with ham plates and a
screwdriver antenna on the front bumper in the driveway. I'm not about to
go putting up a 75 foot tower, mind you.

Jim, W6RMK