[TowerTalk] Vertical Mounting

Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Sun Nov 9 12:51:51 EST 2003

Doug,

Assuming that your "swamp" is generally in the clear of everything else,
and given your soil conditions, ground mount that sucker & lay down a
reasonable number of non-resonant radials.  By the way, by "ground
mount" I mean position the feed no more than six inches above the ground.

I experimented with an elevated HF6V a number of years ago.  The antenna
  feed was 10 feet in the air & I used four resonant radials, per the
Butternut design in the antenna's instructions.  It's tuning and
performance were appalling & definitely not worth the effort I put into it.

Unless  you can "droop" the radials to provide a better 50 ohm match for
an elevated vertical I can't see any reason to not ground mount it.

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ