[TowerTalk] Using Trylon Sections to Support Rohn 25?

Colburn kd4e at arrl.net
Thu Nov 13 23:51:17 EST 2003

Tomorrow I am acquiring 100' of 10' sections of 12"/side Trylon tower.
 From the picture these appear to be made of angle iron.

Once the house is built, or perhaps while it is being built, I plan to
erect a 60' Rohn 25 tower (hate climbing anything taller).

Since I am only paying $100. for the Trylon I have a thought of saving
the hassle of guy wires by setting 50' of the Trylon on each side of the
Rohn 25 to provide strength.  Good, bad, ugly idea?  Why?

If I can find a base hinge I also have thoughts of using the Trylon to
stabilize the Rohn 25 during raising and lowering (I have a couple of
extra sections of Rohn 25 to set in concrete for the 60' section to rest
upon).  Am I missing anything or does this sound OK as well?

Thanks & 73, doc kd4e