[TowerTalk] Crank-up won't crank

Colburn kd4e at arrl.net
Sat Nov 15 15:44:04 EST 2003

Mike Gilmer wrote:
>>I went outside Wednesday evening to crank down my new
>>U.S. Tower 55 ft. tower because of the high winds. It
>>wouldn't crank down or up. Not an inch. I had
>>previously lowered and raised it on several occasions
>>without incident.

I am no tower expert but if deemed safe, prior to forceably dragging the
thing down, I'd see if I can get someone to hose every contact surface
down with a penetrating lubricant spray. (If unsafe to climb then a
bucket truck could provide the necessary access.)

If there is an apparent bend in the tower the bucket-person could try to
pull the tower back into line.  (Pulling a bit too far to straighten it
and then allowing it to center itself may work as a long-term fix.)

The person on the bucket truck might also try rocking the thing very
gently as I tried to lower it.

Just a thought ... prior to destroying the thing by dragging it down
against a bend and/or absent appropriate lubrication.

Not-an-expert-just-guessing-ymmv ... 73, doc kd4e