[TowerTalk] Autek VA1 Owners/Users ?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 18 21:08:15 EST 2003

> PS  I did buy another one believe it or not as I like the size and keep it
> in the mobile for tuning up the screwdriver antenna on very few occasions
> when I use the pickup..  This one is still working after bouncing around
in
> my pickup for the last two plus years and being subjected to very warm
> interior  of pu as many times the pickup sits idle for a month or more
with
> the windows rolled up.  So would guess in August temp inside the cab would
> reach 120F or better at times.  Noticed the display did not work properly
> when unit was really hot but as soon as things cooled down it works ok.

This would be normal for an LCD display.  They're pretty temperature picky,
unless you've bought a real high dollar unit.  Bear in mind that those
colored temperature displays on fishtanks are also LCDs.

Basic run of the mill LCDs are really only good for about 10C to 30C.. When
they get cold, the contrast goes away and the transition time gets real
slow. When they get hot, they go black.  Fortunately, it's usually a
reversible thing..