[TowerTalk] Horizontal + Vertical Polarization Question

RLVZ at aol.com RLVZ at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 22:09:57 EST 2003

Hey Guys,

Has anyone experimented with feeding both a horizontally polarized and
vertically polarized antenna simultaneously on HF?  Such as, feeding a horizontally
polarized yagi and a  vertical on 20, 15, or 10 meters?

I did this years ago on 2-meters and the results were tremendous.  It greatly
reduced QSB on distant stations and seemed to increase overall ground-wave
coverage.  Since HF signals are getting bounced off the e-layer perhaps there
would be less or no advantage.  On the other hand, both antennas would have
different take-off angles... which could help when  contesting?

How would recommend we feed this system: in phase, out-of-phase, no phase!

All idears welcomed!  I'd like to try this in CQWW in a couple weeks.

Thanks & 73's,  Dick- K9OM