[TowerTalk] Really elementary question

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Nov 25 08:47:42 EST 2003

Somehow in my 49 years as a ham I've managed to avoid practical experience
with phased arrays, but now I'm working on an array of K9AY loops for 160m
receiving, and realize that I lack an essential piece of information.  A
cruise through the antenna Book hasn't helped.

The question is this -- when a two-element array is specified as having one
element 90 degrees from the other -- in modeling terms, antenna A's phase
is zero and antenna B's is 90 -- does this mean that you feed antenna A and
then connect from there to B through 90 degrees of coax (1/4 WL x velocity
factor) or is it the other way around?  What about 0 and -90?  If the two
antennas are supposed to be 180 out of phase can you connect them in either
sequence, as long as the line between them is an electrical half-wave?  I'd
think "yes" but I've grown wary of my intuition on such things.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29.
2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm