[TowerTalk] BPL

Craig Clark jcclark at prexar.com
Wed Oct 1 11:38:24 EDT 2003

Last week, KQ2M and I had an interesting exchange of thoughts about BPL
that set me to thinking. The "set-up" is that I live in a hollow in rural
area, cable TV runs .7 miles from my house, I am within 18,000' of the
phone CO and there is a WISP (wireless internet provider @ 2.4 GHz) but I
can't "see" their nodes.

The cable company won't wire our road as the density isn't great enough.
Verizon will not allocate funds to build out DSL even though they are
optical to the CO from Keene. I don't have a wireless access point I can see.

If the cable company, Verizon and WISP won't allocate the funds to build
out broadband in my area, even though they already have 90% of the
infrastructure in place, why would the power company? One of the promises
of BPL is to bring broadband to those who can't get it now.

In the past, Venture capital companies have thrown billions of dollars at
all kinds of cockamamie ideas. Are they still?

Power companies survive on providing us power and have few other revenue
streams to develop. Would the return from offering BPL be great enough to
justify the expenditure of millions by venture capital firms?

Five years ago before the bubble burst yes. But today, frankly, I doubt it.

Am I missing something?

As this has gone far from towers, but started here, reply to me and I'll
summarize for the group.
73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209