[TowerTalk] Which tower?

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Oct 3 09:50:18 EDT 2003

In a message dated 10/2/03 10:11:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
k3ug at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Beware on a Trylon.. they don't come with any drawings/calculations...

    Actually factory Trylon drawings are readily available. You can download
them in three different formats from <A HREF="http://www.championradio.com">
www.championradio.com</A>. They're the same kind of base and structure drawings
you find in the Rohn catalog.

    Calculations are different. Calcs are not available from Rohn or anyone
else for that matter. The only towers I'm aware of that are available with a
'no charge' Professional Engineer calcs package are the US Tower ones and
they're stamped for California. Any other state PE stamp costs extra since each
building department requires a PE stamp from that state.

>  and
>  if your city requires them for a building permit, they can be very costly
>  obtain.

    Most building permit applications will require PE stamped drawings for
that state. If you go to an engineering firm, you will pay thru the nose; i.e.
$1000 and up. On the ARRL website there are VCE's (Volunteer Consulting
Engineers) listed by state who have volunteered to help hams with this. If you can't
find anyone to help you there, ask around your local radio clubs or other ham
buddies - I'll bet you a nickel there's someone who'll do it for a six-pack or
nominal charge. Some years ago I paid the fees for a local ham/engineer to
get his PE stamp and he did my drawing package. Another way to do it is to call
engineers in the phone book and look for an engineer who will do it after
hours or a small firm who'll work with you and your budget. I've done this several
times and always found someone that would only charge $400-500 - a reasonable
sum for this service.

    I do this all the time and never pay more than that. Most engineers are
happy to get the extra work that only takes them a couple of hours to do. While
no one likes to pay the additional cost, in the overall scheme of things it's
a small fraction of the total cost of the project.

    If you really get stuck, I can supply the calcs that a local PE can
review and stamp which'll be cheaper as well.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -