[TowerTalk] C31-XR versus KT36XA

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Oct 3 12:59:23 EDT 2003

Brain - under the heading of - for what it is worth...

That is me on that tower - the lower guy on the tower, and I used that
antenna for about a decade at the station at my parents home in
Homestead, FL until Hurricane Andrew took it down.

In my opinion the antenna performed very well and despite those who told
me it was a dog on 15 meters I came in second twice in the CQ WW CW as a
21 MHz monoband entrant - losing once to a ham in Virginia who
out-Europeaned me (in Florida) and the other time to a W5 who out JA'd
me...

All that time I never felt the antenna was a disappointment - on the
contrary it changed my opinion on tribanders to some extent. It was not
the traditional "suckermaster" which presented a near 50 ohm low SWR
antenna to the rig on three bands and not much more. It did have pattern
AND DID BUST PILEUPS.

The biggest downside of the KLM tribanders is a function of their
complexity.  There were so many little pieces that it was that
antithesis of the KISS (keep it simple stupid) rule and as I now gather
from your posting is was so much  so we had it put together wrong!

Even built wrong I could not think of another tribander on the market AT
THAT TIME I would have rather been using.  Today, the multiple
monobanders on a common boom triband antennas like the Force 12 antennas
are to me more likely to have less problems and fewer assembly errors
than the KT's.

73,

Jim, K4OJ

203 11 59