[TowerTalk] The tower base is poured BUT...

Jerry Keller k3bz at arrl.net
Sun Oct 5 14:20:57 EDT 2003

OK, maybe my ignorance is showing, but does anyone else think it a bit preposterous for an engineer to recommend digging a 25 foot deep hole for a tower base? If the soil content would allow augering a 25 foot deep hole only 2 feet in diameter, wouldn't it cave in long before it got that deep?  Are there even 2 foot diameter truck-mounted augers available 25 feet long?  There's something about this idea that just seems wrong... but then I'm no engineer. Any thoughts?  Jerry K3BZ