[TowerTalk] The tower base is poured BUT...

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Oct 5 17:16:02 EDT 2003

If the PE is recommending that you go 5 times!! deeper than the
manufacturers specs, I would want to review his calculations
to see why he is wanting to go so deep. As Jim says, it certainly
sounds like a very strong installation, but it also sounds like
bocque overkill for a ham tower (David, have you received a
cost estimate on the augering yet).

BTW, here's on for all of the PE/civil engineer's out there.
How does one calculate the max overturning force that a
cylindrical reinforced concrete column can take? Do you
assume a homogenous material with a yield strength of 3
to 5 Kpsi, or is it more complicated than that (e.g. does
tensile/compressive strength of the rebar come into play)?