[TowerTalk] Re: Newbie

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 20:58:59 EDT 2003

Having a military background I think you will prefer HF!

I would guess your major pivotal factor will become amount of  investment...

Once you know a ballpark number you can work backwards to

How much land

And from there it will play out...

Decisions as to antennas will spring form there... the current era of HF
multi band yagis are pretty impressive and you get a lot of bang for
your boom!  If you do decide to pursue low bands, the next questions
will dictate the way your antenna project will go from there...

I am guessing you will look forward to DXing and perhaps contesting -
something tells me that just talking to a guy in the same county on a
handheld is not what you have in mind!  I seem to remember that subs use
a lot of very low frequency stuff - if LF (80 or 150 meters) is
something you want to pursue your lot size will become a factor in a hurry.

You may wish to look at some of the goodie boxes for enhancing audio -
the newer rigs have the DVP built in but there are a lot of accessory
boxes which may help you to enjoy hearing a little bit more... some of
these boxes are a godsend to older gear and are readily available on the
used market.

Welcome - have a blast!

Jim, K4OJ
Near Tampa, FL