[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Hardware

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 20 10:45:25 EDT 2003

At 11:11 AM 10/20/2003 -0400, Roger D Johnson wrote:
>  After posting my previous message, I decided to do some research
>to determine the strength of the SS hardware I used on my tower.
>
>  It turned out to be more complicated than I thought. I soon got
>bogged down with SAE vs ASTM standards, old bolt head markings vs
>new head markings, psi vs ksi vs kips, etc. I'll try to briefly
>summarize my findings.
>
>1. There is not much data on the shear strength of bolts. One site
>gave the following figures. For carbon steel, the shear strength is
>approx 60% of the tensile strength. For SS bolts it's 55%.

Shear stresses, at some point, turn into tensile and compressive loads on
the bolt material, for which there is material strength data. For the
strength of a real bolt loaded in shear, a lot depends on how it's mounted
(how tight a fit in the hole, etc.).  Consider that a hacksaw doesn't put
much load on the bolt, but still cuts through it (an extreme example of
uneven loading).  Likewise a "bolt cutter", which deliberately loads the
bolt in shear.  The holes being a bit uneven, or not perfectly parallel,
etc. can turn that idealized shear loading into a bolt cutter. And, of
course, you never put a shear load on the threaded part, right?

>2. Some of my bolts are marked with two lines at 90 degrees. These
>are an example of the "old marking" and are 18.8 stainless (also
>known as 304SS). These bolts seem to vary widely in strength.

Not much about strength because 18-8 (and 304) just specifies the alloy
constituents, and nothing about the grain structure/tempering/processing
that went on.  Kind of like the difference between 6061 and 6061-T6
aluminum... same chemical composition, very different material properties.