[TowerTalk] Site Grounding

kb9cry at comcast.net kb9cry at comcast.net
Tue Oct 21 15:31:38 EDT 2003

I'm no expert but an avid learner and listener.  We all must remember that RF grounding and lightning grounding are two different things.  I use #18 insulated stranded wire for my RF ground radials.  I merely lay it on the ground and staple it into the ground and let the grass grow around it and after a couple of months it's gone.  For my tower/shack lightning grounding system I use #4 bare solid, Cadwelded to 5/8 8 ft ground rods.  I urge all to go to the following Polyphaser and ICE websites and thoroughly read, understand and follow their technical articles as these guys are the experts at lightning ground.  Don't take any shortcuts unless you want to invite lightning (or surge energy from a nearby strike) into your house.  Phil  KB9CRY

www.polyphaser.com/

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ice/index.html