[TowerTalk] Site Grounding

Tony King - W4ZT towertalk at w4zt.com
Tue Oct 21 12:55:46 EDT 2003

Brazing is a different process than the soldering done in domestic water
systems (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/3495/Temp/basic.htm).

If you look at MIL-HDBK-419A, Grounding, Bonding, and Shielding for
Electronic Equipments and Facilities, (available as the complete 2 volume
set at http://www.tscm.com/MIL-HDBK-419A.PDF but a large file around 9.7
mb) you'll find that brazing and exothermic bonding are the two recommended
methods for joining components in a grounding system.  Brazing requires
higher temperatures than soldering so you would use oxy-acetylene or mapp
gas, brazing flux, filler rod (brass, brass alloy or silver alloy are
common) and technique but it is far superior to solder in both strength and
conductivity when used in similar materials (copper/bronze/brass etc).
Brazing can be done easily with a little practice but care must be taken
that the filler material flows into the joint, not just lays on top of it.

Sorry for the long post.

73,
Tony W4ZT