[TowerTalk] Site Grounding

Tony King - W4ZT towertalk at w4zt.com
Tue Oct 21 13:55:40 EDT 2003

At 12:38 PM 10/21/2003, Jim Lux wrote:
<snip>
>By the way, I'm not sure what you really want here is a brazed
>copper/copper joint.  Brazing is usually used to refer to a joint using
>brass or copper to join, e.g. steel, making use of the fact that the
>melting point of the brazing metal is lower than that of the materials
>being joined (otherwise it would be called "welding", no?)

You're absolutely right Jim. Many times it's called braze welding.
Unfortunately when you tell someone they will "weld" something they're not
going to look any farther because they think of sparks, arcs and something
they can't do. Fortunately you can braze even copper to copper with simple
materials available at the local Home Depot.

>Using brass or copper to join copper would require getting the bond metal
>almost as hot as the MP of the metal being joined.  Why not just use
>thermite (exothermic welding) and make it a real copper/copper/copper
>bond, in that case?

And that's an excellent choice if it's available :)

73,
Tony W4ZT