[TowerTalk] Feed Line Entry

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Oct 23 11:28:18 EDT 2003

Do not know what type of windows you have, but a common shortcut, if you
will, is to replace a window pane with a piece of Plexiglas which you
can drill holes through... obviously this is not an SPG!

IF you are willing to make the commitment, and IF your XYL approves I
would highly recommend you put the hole in the side of the house - even
easier if the builder has not finished his work.  The best location is
directly under a window - since the load forces that would have been
heading towards the ground there have been re-directed already.

Just above your window is some sort of a header which makes sure
downward forces above the window are moved to either side of the window
- if it is frame construction you will see large members running
horizontally over the window - if it is concrete block you will see what
they call a lintel which does the same thing...

SO since there is not a lot of down weight directly below the window it
is an ideal place to pop a hole...

N4ZR did a real nice presentation on this kinda stuff at Dayton, it is
also available on the web  - in it you can see several methods including
the one employed by my father at our station (it is dwarfed by the one
at KC1XX).  The powerpoint presentation which will give you A LOT of
ideas can be found at...

http://www.pvrc.org/Powerpoint/n4zr_files/v3_document.htm

The shot of the cable through at our QTH is:

http://www.pvrc.org/Powerpoint/n4zr_files/v3_document.htm

...it is worth a visit!

Enjoy your new home - even more so with a massive array!!!

GL,

Jim, K4OJ