[TowerTalk] Broken Johnny-ball insulators

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Oct 23 11:51:10 EDT 2003

At 09:57 AM 10/23/03 -0400, Cqtestk4xs at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 10/23/03 1:37:27 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
>n4zr at contesting.com writes:
>But I'm really curious what
>would cause such a failure,
>
>Lightning arcs?
>
>I recently replaced some of my ceramic insulators when I was putting up my
>fiberglass cable.  I found the same thing on many of them, but several
>also had arc-marks.  Lightning?

It may be no coincidence that I took my first direct lightning hit at the
end of August.  On the other hand, none of my rotators or the Stackmatch
show anything nearly so dramatic -- in the Stackmatch, the lightning simply
vaporized the circuit board traces from the terminal strip to the MOVs,
which were also burned.  But the #16 wire connections through which the
flashover voltage came were all intact.  Maybe a combination of water
infiltration, cracking through freezing, and lightning finding its way to
ground -- the bottom guys are grounded.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 3.
2440 stations are listed -- 104 stations were added or updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm