[TowerTalk] Broken Johnny-ball insulators and replacing guys

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Oct 23 14:58:07 EDT 2003

At 08:47 AM 10/23/03 -0500, W0UN -- John Brosnahan wrote:
>So the question is  IS THE FUNKY END DOWN OR UP?
>I have never seen anything in print about this and I always
>marked it up as an old wive's tale (but I always put my
>funky ends down just in case!).

John, I bet this is EXACTLY the story.  I just checked my stock and I have
two different types.  One, glazed a reddish grown, has a "waterline" on one
end of each one about 3/8" from the end, and on the short side the color is
slighter and the finish less shiny, as if unglazed.  The other type is a
dark grey color, and does not have the "waterline" look, but on one end the
small flat surface - less than 1X1 in area -- is rough and does not seem to
be glazed.

While I have no idea which ones were used on this guyset and won't know
till I get it down, I'd bet on the first type.  In any case, from now on
it's funky end down!

Another related question -- this tower is 100 feet of Rohn 25, guyed at 31,
62 and 95 feet.  The problem guys are the bottom set.  Would I be well
advised to set a teporary guy before I remove and replace each one
individually, or can I safely slack off on all three -- given a calm day --
and drop them all at once?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 3.
2440 stations are listed -- 104 stations were added or updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm