Fact or Fiction... [TowerTalk] Broken Johnny-ball insulators

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Fri Oct 24 06:45:33 EDT 2003

A quick search on google yields this gem

http://isddc.dot.gov/OLPFiles/USCG/010480.pdf

<<
These insulators have a small unglazed surface
which, although watertight, is liable to collect
contaminants and is therefore installed facing
down the guy so that the insulator will stay
clean. When ordering, two coats of varnish or
weather resistant enamel should be specified to
cover the unglazed portions.

I have not been able to find an explanation as to why
there's an unglazed surface in the first place. It
could simply be because the manufacturers need a
place to hold them during glazing (Achille's Heel
syndrome) and not placed on purpose as a way for
moisture to drain.  To wit, the Coast Guard document
recommends painting over the bare patch.

Nice to know there's an up and down to these beasts -
AFTER I put several dozen of them up already!

Mike N2MG