[TowerTalk] Base Grout?

kr7x at comcast.net kr7x at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 20:49:17 EDT 2003

Jamie:

With the T type base from US Towers, the grout seals the under side of the t sections and the portion of the anchor bolt above the concrete and the underside of the t from corrosion. It does help in the transfer of the compressive load to the base. In a building column type foundation where the base is a large rectangle or square it is more important in transferring the compressive load of the column to the concrete foundation below.

I would recommend grouting the US Tower base just for the corrosion protection is offers and the reduction in maintenance in the future.

Hank Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.