[TowerTalk] Raising TV Mast...

Dan Levin djl at andlev.com
Sun Oct 26 20:14:37 EST 2003

I'm thinking about using standard "heavy duty" 16 guage 1.25" steel TV mast
as a temporary support for the middle of my trap dipole.  This is not
"telescoping" push-up mast, but rather the standard stuff that you see
on top of everyone's roof - one end swaged down to slip into the next
section.

Does anyone know if you can walk up a 30 or even 40 foot long hunk
of this stuff?  I have no idea how they install it on roofs - I have seen
what
looks like 30' of it fairly frequently.  I assume they assemble the pieces
on
the roof, and then walk it up as one piece - does anyone know if that is
right?

I know it needs to be guyed at every 10' joint.  It is only going to be up
for 3 days,
so I don't need it to be too strong.  I'm just not sure how to get it
vertical in the
first place...

Thanks!

                          ***dan, K6IF