[TowerTalk] Raising TV Mast...

Red RedHaines at centurytel.net
Mon Oct 27 11:26:56 EST 2003

Hi, Dan;

I've supported a trapped dipole on 35 feet of Radio Shack mast for many
years for my base station and for field day.  The antenna supports it in
the plane of the antenna and guys perpendicular to the antenna  support
it in the other plane without interacting with the antenna.  The guys
attach to a ring at about the 25 foot level.

Raising it is a one person job.  With the mast on the ground in the
plane of the antenna and its bottom at the planned location, secure and
adjust the guys with a little slack.  Then, back the base of the mast
toward one antenna support and secure that end of the antenna.  I use a
pulley and halyard at each end of the antenna and secure both ends with
slack.

For a base, I use a short 2 X 6 treated lumber with a landscape spike
through a drilled but tight fitting  hole, with the head protruding
about 1 inch and the rest stabilizes the base on the ground.

Walk the mast away from one antenna support and raise it as the slack in
the antenna is taken up.  The guys will support it in their plane.
Stand it temporarily with it leaning away from the antenna support while
you remove slack in the antenna.  With most of the antenna slack
removed, stand the mast on the base and remove all slack.

Make the guys visible where people may walk into them and where persons
driving lawn mowers or other equipment may drive into them  (voice of
experience).

I considered using chain link top rail, which has the swaged ends, but
found it is not as strong as antenna mast even though it is larger diameter.

For the antenna support, I made an arm of 2 X 4 by drilling it to fit
over the top of the mast (swaged end up).  The antenna hangs from an eye
bolt in the arm, about 6-8 inches from the mast.

This works fine for the bands 40 meter through 10 and it is a very good
NVIS 80 meter antenna.  At this height, its end nulls are minimal at its
effective elevation angles, so it makes a nearly non directional antenna.

Good luck es 73 de WOØW