[TowerTalk] Concrete Base/Bed Rock

WD0M wd0m at centurytel.net
Mon Oct 27 21:05:42 EST 2003

Fellow TTers,

Having just moved to a new home in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, I find that I
am facing a problem of locating a tower base on/in bedrock.  I've received
several suggestions from contractors in the area that I drill holes in the
rock (which is at/near surface level on most of my 5 acres), put concrete
rebar in the holes, use epoxy to cement them in place, then pour a concrete
slab over it all.  Their theory is that this would hold the concrete pad in
place, providing the stability/weight necessary to hold the tower in
place.  (Gulp!)

My concerns are many, starting with the fact that I had planned on putting
up a 72 foot crankup tower, weighing about 1200 pounds.  The value of the
tower/antenna is going to be significant, and I do not relish the idea of a
wind storm causing the supporting base/rock to crack, resulting in a loss.

Has anyone come across a problem of this nature that they have
resolved?  Thoughts, comments, suggestions (laughter too) are solicited
from this august group.....

73,
Joe
WD0M