[TowerTalk] Looking for some thoughts on a rotor I bought

Clary, Steve Steve_Clary at URMC.Rochester.edu
Fri Oct 31 09:17:40 EST 2003

Good morning all.

I have purchased a three sections of Rohn 25g and it came with a rotor.  (I
paid $150.00 for all)

I need help identifying the rotor.  The control box say T2X, it has three
momentary push levers (switches) in front (middle one says break).  It also
has a directional meter and an on/off switch.

I have found a picture of the control box that looks close:
http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/steve/control_box.jpg

I have also found a picture of I believe a tailtwister rotor that looks like
mine : http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/steve/rotor.jpg.

So I believe that it is a tailtwister of some sort, but I think I have seen
someone call it a HAM 4 (or maybe HAM IV).  Is there a difference?

Also, I took the rotor apart, and besides the bottom set of bearings looking
a bit rusted, all seems to be in good shape.  I took out the bearings and
cleaned things nicely, then I used some marine (green) grease to lube them
back up.  I applied the lube liberally, but then I found a comment on this
list about not using too much grease.

Is it important that I use only a minimal amount of grease?  Should I take
it apart again and remove the majority of the grease?  Is it important that
I use ay special grease?

I have noticed that the unit does not seem to be water tight.  I can
understand the need for the bottom to be open to drain water, but what about
where to two halves join?  Should there be a gasket of any type?  Also, is
there anyway to project the terminals on the bottom from weathering?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  Oh, I have wired it up and it seems to
work fine.

Steve