[TowerTalk] Waterproofing "downhill" tape wrap

James jameswarren at swbell.net
Tue Sep 2 00:35:55 EDT 2003

Steve (K7LXC) made a good clarification on what I posted about wrapping
the last layer of tape over connectors.

>  Always wrap "downhill" like roofing shingles to keep out water.

    All excellent tips. The last wrap of tape should go UP, then you get the
shingle-like overlapping wraps.

Cheers,
Steve (K7LXC)

Thanks Steve for pointing that out. I should have phrased that as - "Start
your LAST wrap at the BOTTOM of the connector and wrap your way UP, that
way you'll get the "downhill" overlapping effect like roofing shingles."

And for gooping Scotch Coat over the connector - This was discussed here
about a month ago. Someone said that they've had good results up north,
but down here in Texas, it erodes after a year or two and is no longer
effective. I've used yellow Plastic Dip "Spray on Coating" to provide
temporary protection of outdoor video connectors that I re-enter about
twice a year to change video feeds, so I don't know how durable it for
a longer period. Black might last longer, but yellow was easier to find
the connector in the dark. I used some Star Brite black liquid electrical
coating on my dish feedline last year, but haven't checked on it since.
Both products are sold at Home Depot. YMMV

I wouldn't recommend silicone glue as a sealer as it will eventually
pull loose from the vinyl coax jacket - the plasticsisers in the vinyl
act a mold-release agent. Try gluing something on your car dashboard and
it will pop off in about a year. Try using it on a plexiglass aquarium
and you'll be mopping water up in about a year.

A trade magazine reported that a saltwater distillation plant solved its
connector corrosion problems by wrapping them with tape, then gooping
silicone glue over the tape, and followed with another layer of tape.

My original post: