[TowerTalk] Reference plane for FCC power limit

Bill Turner wrt at dslextreme.com
Wed Sep 3 12:38:15 EDT 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:05:56 -0400, Chuck Counselman
<ccc at space.mit.edu> wrote:

>The FCC is (also) silent regarding _what_ power is limited.
>
>The "forward" power at a reference plane/point along a simple TEM
>transmission-line such as coaxial cable or parallel-wire line depends
>not only on the voltage across and the current through the line at
>said plane, but also on an assumed value, e.g., 50 ohms, of the
>characteristic impedance Zo of said line.

I've read that statement a half dozen times and it still makes no
sense.  The Zo determines the ratio of E/I, but for a given power
level, Zo has no effect on E*I.  (Assuming the theoretical lossless
line for discussion purposes, of course).  Where am I wrong?

--
Bill, W7TI