[TowerTalk] Tower base hole?

Michael Neverdosky mikenever at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 6 15:22:26 EDT 2003

You might get a lot of guys that will walk away from the job that way.
The ones that will go along are likely to be more expensive to start
with
and they will simply pad the bill to cover the extra ... what $60-80 for
a yard of concrete?

When in doubt you want the hole bigger than needed. Having an inspector
reject the whole thing and make you tear it out and start over is a lot
more expensive.

Sometimes you can't get a truck to the hole and you need to get a pump.
Usually this entails hiring another contractor, and if you need it, it
is worth it.

Sometimes you can save money by allowing a little slop. If the
contractor
(backhoe owner/operator) needs practice/training they will do the work
real cheap. Sometimes free or for just the cost of fuel. Even if it is
a little rough a bit of formwork can work wonders.

Add up what you are spending on the tower, antennas, rotators,
feedlines,
etc., and then ask yourself if fighting over a yard of concrete is worth
it.

michael N6CHV