[TowerTalk] Antenna Maintenance Thoughts

Tom Martin tmartin at chartermi.net
Tue Sep 9 14:30:47 EDT 2003

I am sitting here at the computer reflecting on events of the last three
hours at 80 feet in a bucket.  I had to replace a Tailtwister and the
driven element on the 40 meter beam.  I decided not to wait until
December cold weather, proper temps for most antenna work, and took
advantage of the cloudy day and 65 degree temperature to take a ride in
the bucket.  What did I learn today?

1.  Wear steel-toed boots even in a bucket.  The new CATS RD-1800
slipped off the narrow shelf in the bucket and landed directly on my
"tennie" covered right big toe.  I could imagine the blood filling my
shoe, but we had just started and, at $100 an hour, there was no time
for injury assessment.

2.  Always take two of everything with you to the top of the tower.  I
failed to bring an extra lockwasher of the proper size I needed for the
coax feed to the beam.  However, I had many extras for the rotor bolts!

3.  Make sure that the 60' element is oriented in the right direction
before heading up.  The driver was right the first time and he doesn't
know a thing about antennas!

I now have my foot in ice.  No blood was shed but I have a very large
and purple big toe!  The rotor works great and no lousy Hygain brake to
worry about.  The 40 meter beam plays again like before the tornado.

It was worth the $300 for the crane.

 I just hope I can play golf tomorrow with out wearing sandals.

73, Tom W8JWN