[TowerTalk] Re: TH7 Traps

gdaught6 at stanford.edu gdaught6 at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 9 20:59:53 EDT 2003

On 9 Sep 2003 at 22:12, Jim White, K4OJ wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance but what "Handbook" do you insist I read?
> Antennas mounted in same place on the same\ tower at same height
> compared... sounds like the kind of comparison I want to see!

Well, I think the report IS scientific!  It isn't complete (and the
authors admit that) in that it doesn't compare a large number of
paths, with a large number of ionosperic conditions.  It does indeed
use the scientific method (experiment: avoid biases: take data) and
it shuns the "read the handbook/Bible/authoritarian source" sort of
argument.  Until someone does a more complete job, I think it's
excellent.

And gain isn't just a function of boom length.  It's a function of other
things, too... like loss, for instance.

And please note, it doesn't say that TH7's don't work.  It doesn't say
that Mosley's don't work.  It says that others work better in the
authors' quantitative, careful, incomplete) tests.

If you believe that a TH-7 outperforms a C31XR, that's what it is, a
BELIEF.  If you want to be convincing, describe your test setup and
show us your data.