[TowerTalk] N connectors

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 9 21:48:36 EDT 2003

.As far as power handling,my 800 watt out
> amp for 2 meters came with......SO-239's.All Alphas that I have seen or
> played with have.......SO-239's.Most radios and amps use SO-239's until
you
> get to 432 and even then some have SO-239's on 432.

Just because it has a SO-239 doesn't mean that that's the best connector..
it just means that it's a market accepted standard. If I were marketing
anything to hams, I'd put UHF connectors on it because that's what people
already have installed, and, it's "good enough" for most HF applications.
For things I build for myself, I use BNC, TNC, N, F, and SMA, depending on
the application, and not just because I actually think that constant
impedance connectors are important, but it's because that's what everything
I have has on it. For what it's worth, the RJ-45 used in Cat-5 network
wiring is a far better performer, impedance and matching wise, than most
other common connectors. Can't beat well controlled cross talk and
consistent match up to 350 MHz.

> IMO below 144 Mhz use
> whatever you have,just get on the air.    Gregg  K9KL   Green Bay,WI

I'll vote for that...