[TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 9, Issue 38

Howard Klein howk2 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:29:52 EDT 2003

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:38:49 -0400
From: "Bryan Rambo" <bryanr at bometals.com>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Short Booms

Howard and all,

I was just about ready to order a pair of those 4el SteppIR yagis when I
read on their web page that the 32ft boom was only 1-3/4 inch diameter.
Yikes!  My KT-34XA has a 32ft x 3in boom and I don't think it could manage
with less.  Granted, the SteppIR boom has a bit more wall thickness - but
wall thickness just can't make up for lack in diameter (if you believe the
moment formulas in my old college statics textbook).

Howard: After putting two of those beauties up, what do you think of that
skinny boom ???

73 - Bryan W4WMT

Bryan,
I had the same feeling when I first looked at them lying on the ground. For
those who aren't familiar with the antenna it has a 32 ft long boom.
However, with the boom support in place, the trusses hold them in good
position and there does not appear to be undue stress or movement (they are
perfectly straight) on the tower. The proof will be coming up this winter. I
suspect it will ride it out without problem. Possibly the engineers  may
feel differently. My feeling is subjective based on my history. If not there
is a three year warantee :-).
Howard..K2HK