[TowerTalk] using trees as tower guypoints

T. Nawrocki nawrocki at direct.ca
Fri Sep 12 06:52:14 EDT 2003

Hi Al,
I have been using 3 strategically placed trees as my guy points for my
100 foot L&R tower.This tower has 31 inch leg to leg spacing.
I used eye bolts, girthing the tree, and then ran some good quality guy wire thru
the eyelets. then attached the tower guywires, via turnbuckel, to the girthed
guywire.
Bottom guys are from 60 foot level, and are standard metal wire.
Top guys are kevlar guy, from 90 foot level.
I am using the non-metalic guys at the top, because will be installing a 2 element
40 mtr beam, side rotateable at 65 feet .
Engineer who checked installation, and building inspector who inspected
the installation, both gave it a passing grade.
As the trees grow, I rreplace the eyebolts, as not to choke the trees.
The trees have different cross dimensions, one is 2 feet across, second is
about 3 feet, and last is about 4 feet.
All 3 trees are cedar, and all are healthy.
So tree guy anchoring is possible, even with building inspector approval.
73 de ted VE7TIN