[TowerTalk] Re: using trees to anchor wire antennas / The Crossbow Incident

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 12 21:27:54 EDT 2003

I also have used crossbows to loft arrows trailing monofilament, which
then pulled twine and then pulled rope....

One time, the trees near our biggest tower were so thick we could not
pull a line up through them. I climbed the tower and had my father W1CW
  send up the cross bow... the spool of monofilament was attached to a
board which he then in turn attached to a 2 x 4 that had several common
nails partially driven in that were bent with the heads rolled over so
that they in turn hooked onto a horizontal rung of the tower, thus
freeing up my hands for the cross bow...

It took two shots - the first one broke the monofilament about 50 feet
out and that arrow was LONG gone into the distant field.  All the while
  I was wondering if a neighbor was videotaping me up at 100 feet
shooting a cross bow to the northwest... seeing as I was not taken away
in a straight jacket I guess not :-)

Heah... it worked... and the dipole was resurrected... Dad later had the
tree guys come out and they "enhanced" [can you say chain saw or stump
grinder?] the path between the two towers that supported that wire :-)

Inexpensive crossbows which are more than adequate for the accuracy
needed in this type of operation can be had at all the local weekend
flea markets here in FL... cheap, too!

Jim, K4OJ