[TowerTalk] Parking the beam

Dan dhearn at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 14 18:15:42 EDT 2003

Dave: I believe that the proper way to park your beam is with the boom end
pointing into the wind. Most beams are mounted to the mast at the center of
gravity (balance point). Since the reflector is heavier than the
director(s), this means that the mast plate is not in the mid point of the
boom. If the boom is broadside to the wind, gusts of wind apply a torque to
the mast and bump against the rotator gears or brake wearing and possibly
damaging them. If the boom is pointed into the wind, the elements have equal
forces applied from the wind and no torquing. You can watch your beam in a
gusty wind and see clearly the way it acts in different orientations.  73,
Dan, N5AR