[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Question

Jerry Keller k3bz at arrl.net
Mon Sep 15 18:09:24 EDT 2003

Do I understand correctly....that the thrust bearing (a) takes the weight
off the rotor, and (b) allows removal of the rotor while leaving the mast
and antennas in place?  Any other purpose(s)?

I have the good fortune to have a tiltover tower, so I can install
everything while it's horizontal, with no load on the mast. is 1/2" enough
of a gap to leave in the mast-to-rotor connection?  Do I then just tighten
the thrust bearing set-screws as tight as I can? Or is there more to it? (My
thrust bearing didn't come with instructions, and I've never done this
before.)

Jerry K3BZ