[TowerTalk] Brake click on HAM IV rotor

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Tue Sep 16 14:44:13 EDT 2003

The HAMIV and T2X brakes all make lots of noise.  They
are easy to hear at night from quite far away.  Not
much you can probably do about it.  (When standing
outside at a contest multi-op, the clanking is music!)

If you tried to disengage the brake permanently, you
would likely burn out the solenoid - and possibly find
your antenna turning in the wind as the gears in the
rotator get chewed up.

Mike N2MG

VA3PL wrote:

Looking for suggestion in lowering clicking noise.

My HAM IV rotor is making loud click (bang) every time
I press brake
release and again when braking (stopping). It is so
loud that I can hear
it three houses away. The tower resonates it so much
that click, that I
am afraid to use it during the night. The same is with
the winch on my
TX455 tower. When raising the tower up, the winch
clicking noise is loud
in the middle of late evening. I will replace it with
3000 lbs worm drive
winch available here for $80.
Any suggestion how I can muffler brake clicking noise
of my rotor? Or it
is time to upgrade to better rotor?
Can I have brake on the HAM IV rotor permanently
engaged so I do not have
to press it every time when turning antenna? Sometime
when pressing brake
release it emits 60Hz hum. Any cure for that?