[TowerTalk] Urban verticals and dipoles

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 22 17:17:40 EDT 2003

I operate with a Gap Titan vertical and an open wire center fed flattop.
I'm on a small city lot (100' x 50') with the ususal clutter:  aluminum
siding, power lines etc.  I put the vertical up on a 15' pipe to get it up a
bit.  It's feedpoint is about 15' above its base so it's almost 30' high
(40' total) and does a pretty good job of clearing a lot of the obstructions
which I think is especially important on the higher HF bands.

The flattop is about 30' high so a lot of the RF goes straight up.  Even so
it way outperforms the vertical in most of North America on 40 meters.  The
vertical shows an edge beyond 2 or 3 thousand miles.  Not sure about the
higher bands because the times I get to operate are usually when they aren't
open.  I don't even use the vertical anymore on 75 but the Gap Titan was
never known for being a great 75 m. antenna anyway.  The horizontal wire
picks up about 5 S units less noise on the low HF bands also.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ