[TowerTalk] "super" KT36XA

Joe - KC2TN kc2tn at comcast.net
Tue Sep 23 11:14:36 EDT 2003

I don't have any info on the super size KT36XA but I do have an original
KT34XA which I've upgraded to the KT36XA using the M2 Kit.

The original KT34 was a shorter 4 element tribander while the KT34XA upgrade
kit added a longer boom and 3 elements, 2 for 10,15, and 20 meters and also
a 3rd element was added for 10 meters.

The upgraded XA beam then wound up as 5 elements on 15M & 20M and 6 elements
on 10M.

The KT36XA is also 6 elements total but was remodeled with some spacing and
element length adjustments to give it some additional gain and FB.

The KT36XA and the M2 Upgrade kit for the KT34XA-KT36XA also replaced all of
the shorting "straps" with machined shorting "Bars/Clamps". These give the
antenna a much more rigid structure as well as maintaining it's tuning over
time.

While a tedious job to upgrade, the antenna has performed much better than
the original and well worth the time and investment. I've been able to work
everything I hear with 100 watts.

If I had the space and money I'd love to try one of the new Steppirs.

Joe - KC2TN
"If you're sure of everything,
        and it still doesn't work,
           one of the things you're sure of is wrong!"