[TowerTalk] Hygain Rotator Checkup and Rebuilding

Jon Ogden na9d at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 30 15:09:27 EDT 2003

 From my understanding, the brake wedge was squared off beginning with
the Ham-IV and after because the tapered, pointy edge in the ham-m and
earlier were not as strong (that and the use of a stainless steel ring
gear is the only difference between the "M" and the "IV.").  The square
edge has more holding power and so that is one reason why the Ham-IV
has a high wind rating than the Ham-M.  So I'd be careful about filing
down the wedge.

I would say just make sure you clean the inside of the housing where
the break engages.  You might also want to lubricate the brake
mechanism and make sure it slides freely.

73,

Jon
NA9D

On Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003, at 12:26 America/Chicago, Paul Playford wrote:

> I used to have trouble with the brake wedge sticking in my T2X.  My
> original
> 40 year old Ham M had a 'V' shaped wedge and never stuck however the
> T2X
> (and replacement Ham M) wedge has a squared end.  I filed the square
> to make
> it slightly thinner, knowing full well that the wedge is hardened and
> the
> file really didn't do much, but it still would stick sometimes.
Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC

Ham Radio Webpage: http://www.qsl.net/na9d   <- Updated on 9/29/03!!!
Digital Photography Page: http://homepage.mac.com/jogden

"Try not to become a man of success.  Rather become a man of value."

                 - Albert Einstein