[TowerTalk] Greetings

Michael A. Urich mike at ka5cvh.com
Sun Aug 1 09:25:37 EDT 2004

I recently joined this list since I'm planning on moving in about a year
or so to property where I can grow steel and aluminum in my spare time.
I've already searched the archives some but will probally be wanting to
pick your brains about lightening protection and grounding primarily.  I
office out of the house and I'm building a 30x50x12 steel building with
the back 16x30 of it being an office/shack for myself, an office/junk room
for my wife and a restroom & kitchentte between them.

This is where I'm leaning at the moment.

The quick run down on the tower will be a 100' Rohn 45G, 10-10' sections +
a 9' top section 5' in ground for a total of actually 104'.  Topped with
Force 12 Tribander and mono-band C3i yagis for 50/144/222/432.  I'll
probally have a few side mounted verticals as well for V/UHF FM, packet,
APRS plus a scanner antenna as well. LMR-600 up the tower with LMR-400
(flex) from the top to the feedpoints.  I'm going to have a small box at
the top of the tower for preamps on 144+ at some point in time and I will
use that box for protecting the connectors switching from 600 to 400. The
base of the tower will be about 15' from radio desk and I'm thinking about
mounting a grounded copper plate (or equiv) in the wall where the feedline
will enter the building with bulkhead connectors.  I want to arrange it so
that I can step outside the shack and quickly disconnect the final run of
feedline to the shack from the tower.

And of course, I will entertain other ideas.  That's why I joined.

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com