[TowerTalk] Two Vertical Antennas

Paul Playford w8aef at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 4 14:27:03 EDT 2004

The first time I erected my 40m 4 square I installed 8 buried radials at
each element.  I was not happy with it's performance to the point I almost
did not put it back up when I moved.

But I bit the bullet after the move and I erected it with 4 elevated radials
(the feed point and radials are 2 1/2 meters above ground) and it works very
well,
thank you.

But I am a DXer.  I suspect that if I were interested in talking to someone
closer than say 3000 km, I would be happier with a dipole at 10 meters for
the high launch angle of the rf.

Just for yucks, you may want to try 4 elevated radials with your 40m
vertical and see what happens.  Erect them in a bat wing fashion - that is
come up from the feed point at roughly a 45 degree angle until you are a
couple of meters above ground and then out horizontally.  I determined the
length of my radials by installing 2 (no vertical element at this time) in a
dipole configuration, feed them at the center and cut them to resonance,
then
add 2 more for a total of 4.  Then erect the vertical and trim it to
resonance againsts the radials.  The vertical element will wind up being
slightly long which will tilt the radiation lobe down a couple of degrees
(but the lobe is so big you won't notice it) and the feed point z will be
lower but it will give you an idea of what it's performance will be.  For
this experiment you don't have to mess with your 60 radials as the antenna
will ignore them with the elevated radials.

And if you like the elevated radials you can raise the feed point of the
antenna and make it a permanent installation.  If the elevated radials don't
do anything for you then I just wasted a bunch of you time.

de Paul, W8AEF