[TowerTalk] Rohn Torque Bar confusion

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Aug 4 18:45:10 EDT 2004

<snip - gotta look up the info for this part. I lent my new  1986? catalog
out>
I can say, without a doubt,  the one ton is a small fraction of what a 25 G
is rated to support.
If you are willing to settle for an approximation and an old memory "I
believe" the 25-G is rated at an ultimate static load on the order of
18,000# with the load evenly distributed between the three legs. Each leg is
rated at a bit less than the 6,000# and the ultimate load on any single
joint is a tad less.    So, the actual static load would be limited by the
bottom bolts at a bit over 5,000# per leg.
  I'm guessing with the generous safety factors Rohn is noted for using, you
could safely go to 10,000#

OTOH I don't have any idea as to how much wind loads causing a shift of
weight would derate those figures, other than it would derate them.

> >I have dismantled 90 foot steel TV towers that used 1/4 inch steel guys.
> The bottom three sections were "belled" into each other to the point it
took
> a jack to get them apart.
> >

> This has been posted before.  How are these sections connected?  Seems to
me

Two bolt American Steel.  The connection is just like the Rohn 25G

> if it is Rohn 25 or above, or equivalent, each log would be bolted at two
> points.  If so, how could they "belly" without breaking the bolts or
> elongating the bolt holes?

The sections belled between the bolts.  The holes appeared to be OK, but we
had to drive the bolts out.

Although Rohn is popular the average ham goes for the cheapest support
he/she can find.  The old Americal Steel towers are vvery popular as are
some of the towers made of stamped angle
Many are the same size as a 25 G they don't have near the load bearing
capacity.

I have a 32 foot brand X Aluminum tower I use to hold my AV-640.  That is
the biggest load I'd ever put on that thing and no way am I climbing it.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com