[TowerTalk] Fastener source (Was Looking for on-line source for tower bolts)

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Aug 16 21:14:30 EDT 2004

The problem with Lowes and HD are the prices.  There are pretty close to 10
times what I pay for graded bolts at the local industrial supplier.

I just discovered our local industrial supplier is on line at
http://www.almabolt.com/
Their outlet here in Midland is Prime Fastener.  I didn't realize they were
available on line.

I'd guess there are probably countless other industrial suppliers also on
line.
I've not spent any time on the page, but locally they sell by the box, or
individual nuts, bolts, and washers. As I said, their prices are far below
the packaged pair and small boxes available in the so called discount
storers. I haven't looked at their on-line prices.

No, I don't even own stock in them. Just a satisfied customer.

As an added note up through 45G most any bolt is strong enough including
ungraded, BUT
there is a good reason for using hot dipped galvanized. They are pretty much
trouble free.
The ROHN book warns against drilling out bolt holes in galvanized tower
legs.  If the bolt holes need to be enlarged and most do, use a taper
pin/alignment pin, or punch that will be of a size that allows you to fit
the punch about half the taper through the hole.

When I put my 45-G together I used three to fit the larger bolt holes.  The
smaller, upper bolts then were a tight slip fit. Once they were in a snug,
but not tight, I put the larger bolts in which ended up a slip fit as well.
Those taper pin punches are only $3 or $4 and well worth it.

73 and good luck

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com