[TowerTalk] Tramming

Keith Dutson kjdutson at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 17:28:30 EDT 2004

Yes, it would be nice to use Phillystran or other Kevlar products.  But
there are two real big negatives that will keep most from doing it:

1. Expense - 1/4 EHS equivalent is 6700, $1.29 per foot, plus $12 each for
big grips (cannot use clamps);

2. Danger - Kevlar can be cut with a knife, or an unlucky encounter with an
old pulley rim.

My 500 foot roll of 1/4 EHS came delivered in a steel banded coil of about
2.5 feet diameter.  I can roll it back to a 3 foot coil without a lot of
trouble and use tape or twine to hold together.  Seems a small task compared
to the cost/risk of Kevlar.

Keith NM5G