[TowerTalk] Cadwelding Copper Flashing (?)

Paul Henning paul at amtelco.com
Mon Aug 23 10:27:33 EDT 2004

You can indeed do an exothermic weld with flashing. I have never seen a
one-shot to do it however. An exothermic weld using flashing requires a
reusable mold, handles/clamp, and shot charge. The mold I have used is an
erico CRC16002 and a #115 shot charge. Mr. Ron Block did an excellent
grounding presentation at Dayton this year and talked about exothermic
welding copper strap. I enquired later about where to obtain the materials,
his company stocks them! I purchased an entire do it yourself kit from him
which consisted of mold, handles/clamp, igniter, and a quantity of shot
charges. One call resulted in lots of advice and the stuff appearing on my
door step. So my advice is to give Mr. Block a call and avoid the hassle of
finding all the correct pieces. I believe his brother had something to do
with founding PolyPhasor or some such. Mr. Block is a very knowledgeable
resource.

Contact Mr. Ron Block
	  WR Block & Associates
	  (800)421-7170

If you use clamps make sure that you remember exactly where you placed them
so you can dig them up and inspect and tighten them at least yearly! What a
pain.....

Paul N. Henning
K9PH
Director of Research and Development