[TowerTalk] from W0RTT...

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Wed Aug 25 11:43:53 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
snip
> our house was struck by lightning.  ... it wiped out all connected
electronic equipment

Wow.  I guess I would head for his company's beer hall.  I have fond
memory of an hour two viewing the horses and having pretzels while
trying varieties of Anheuser-Bush beer. I think it was free i.e. cheap.

Speaking of being cheap, why do some hams pride themselves on being
cheap.  It seems that being eco-friendly and recycling is one thing but
to take advantage of someone's ignorance of the value is questionable?

My area, the Puget Sound, gets only a few thunderstorms each year.  I
can't remember any lightning strike within a mile or so in the past
50 yrs.  Of course it only takes one to do the damage, so that makes it
a difficult risk-Vs-cost  decision.  I think that most respondents to
the tower cost thread didn't include the lightning protection.

I hope that someone will analyze why so much damage was done--what
lightning protection was in use at W0RTT?

k7puc