[TowerTalk] adjusting insulated wire dipole

FireBrick w9ol at billnjudy.com
Wed Dec 1 10:36:03 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] adjusting insulated wire dipole

> Bringing up the interesting question as to why this incredibly useful
> technique isn't mentioned more prominently in the ARRL handbook?
>
> There's lots of talk about trimming/pruning the length of an antenna, which
> certainly implies cutting off the wire.  I haven't searched the latest
> handbook, but in my 10 year old one, I don't see any mention of folding and
> taping/twisting.

Way back when, shortly after Gutenberg printed first Ham books, I remember a
picture/drawing of how to wrap the excess wire at the end insulator.

I short flat piece of wood with a hole/slot for the wire.
Hold end insulator with one hand and use stick to twist excess wire around.
I still use it, much easier on old tired fingers.

Baker's Byroad: When you are over the hill, you pick up speed.

Bill H. in Chicagoland